Summer is the time for outdoor living and fun. Don’t let those cheeseburgers, fried chicken and fatty potato salads get the best of your waistline and your heart health. Instead, forego the beef burgers, KFC, soda pop and sugary drinks with umbrellas in them and opt for skinless chicken, shrimp, healthy whole grain salads, light fare, light beers, skinny margaritas and drink plenty of water while getting your exercise. Try this Heart Easy TM Garden Fresh German Potato Salad and give your heart a big summer break.
Heart Easy™ Garden Fresh German Style Potato Salad
This side dish or salad is great for home or picnics. I serve it warm, room temperature and cold. It’s always a hit.
- 3 cups diced unpeeled red or gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons imitation bacon bits
- 1 small onion, diced or 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons organic raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- Add onion to the canola oil, and cook over medium heat until browned. If using scallions, skip this step. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and parsley. Add the imitation bacon bits. Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish. You can serve this warm or at room temperature. It’s also terrific cold. Any way you serve it the results are amazing.